The following instructions outline our application process. You must complete this application process and submit any required documents by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on the closing date of this announcement. We are available to assist you during business hours (normally 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Monday – Friday). If applying online poses a hardship, please contact us as soon as possible.
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. Please contact us if you require this for any part of the application and hiring process.
Step 1 - Create or Upload a Resume with USAJOBS (www.usajobs.com) We suggest you go to the end of the “Qualifications & Evaluations” section of the job announcement to preview the online questions. You may need to customize your resume to ensure that it supports your responses to these questions. Resume Tips
Step 2 - Apply Online Click the “Apply Online” link on this page. You will then be directed to USAJOBS where you must select a resume. After selecting a resume, click on the "Apply for this position now!" link, and follow the prompts to register (if you have not already done so). You will then be required to answer a few questions, and submit all required documents. To return to your saved application, log into your USAJOBS account and click on "Application Status." Click on the position title, and then select "Apply Online" to continue.
Step 3 – Answer the Online Questions and Submit Your Online Application If this is your first time on CFPB’s CareerConnector website, you will be prompted to register by answering questions related to your eligibility for federal employment. The system will save these responses and take you back to the main screen so that you can answer the job-specific questions. Select “Take me to the assessment” and click on the “Continue” button to answer the job-specific questions. You must answer all the questions and click the “Finished” button.
Step 4 – Review and Confirm Your Submission You will now have the option to upload a document or print fax cover-sheets for your required documents. (See Step 5 for details.) Once you click “Done,” you will see a summary of your application for your review. You may also print a copy for your records. When you click “Finished” at the bottom of the page, you will then be directed back to USAJOBS where you can confirm that your application has been submitted. You may also track your application status from your USAJOBS account.
Step 5 – Submit Required Documents You can submit any required or optional documents (described below) by document upload or fax. Whichever method you choose, please include the job announcement number with your documents. To protect your privacy, we encourage you to remove your social security number from anything you submit.
Document Upload: You may upload supporting documents in one of two ways:
1. Once you finish answering the questions in the job announcement, you will be prompted to upload your document(s) to your application. You will be given the choice to either upload the document as part of the application process or you can select a document that you have already loaded on USAJOBS. OR
2. You may upload a document to an existing application by logging in to your USAJOBS account. Click on “My Applications” and search for the vacancy. Once you have located the vacancy, click on it and select “Apply Online.” Move through your existing application until you reach the “Documents” page and select “Upload” to add a document to your application. Be sure to review your complete application to confirm that the document(s) uploaded properly.
In the “Application Review” section, you should see your uploaded documents listed on the “Vacancy Documents” screen. Once you see them, click “Finished;” you will then be returned to USAJOBS.
Fax: Create a fax cover-sheet in CareerConnector by following the “Faxing Supporting Documentation” instructions. The fax number is on the cover-sheet.
Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you may lose consideration this position (or lose the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
CURRENT AND FORMER FEDERAL EMPLOYEES Documentation Relating to Your Federal Employment
- If you are a CFPB employee in a permanent, competitive service position or are a CFPB employee who is reinstatement eligible based on prior federal permanent competitive service, you need not submit documents to confirm your status.
- If you are not a CFPB employee as described above, submit an SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, that shows your current (or most recent) grade and competitive service status. (The "position occupied" block on the SF-50 should show a "1" and your "tenure" block should show a "1" or "2".) If you are currently on a Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA), submit an SF-50 showing that.
- Indicate on your application the highest permanent grade you have held; if this grade is different from your current grade, you must submit an additional SF-50 showing this grade in order to receive credit.
If you are qualifying based on education, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or a list of courses showing title, number of credits, grade, and date of completion.
To be used in meeting qualification requirements, a college or university degree generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools which meet these criteria, please refer to the Database of Accreditation of Post-Secondary Institutions and Programs. If we are unable to determine that you meet the required education, you will be found ineligible for further consideration.
If you are qualifying based on foreign education, you must submit proof of creditability of education as evaluated by a credentialing agency; more information may be found at Acceptability of Higher Education for Meeting Minimum Qualification Requirements. We recommend you get this process started as soon as possible to avoid delays in appointment if selected.
A transcript will be required if you are tentatively selected.
If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee eligible for consideration under the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP), you must submit proof of eligibility. For a detailed list of documents, click here.
SPECIAL HIRING AUTHORITIES DOCUMENTATION:
If you are applying under a special hiring authority, submit a copy of proof of your eligibility.
VETERANS EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES ACT (VEOA)/VETERANS RECRUITMENT APPOINTMENT (VRA) DOCUMENTATION
- If you are applying under the Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA), OR the Veterans' Recruitment Appointment (VRA), you must submit a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, DD-214 (Member 4 copy), or other official documentation from a branch of the Armed Forces or the Department of Veterans Affairs showing dates of service and type of discharge.
- Ten-point preference eligibles must also submit an Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference, SF-15, along with required documentation listed on the back of the SF-15 form. An SF-15 may be found on the OPM Forms Page.